25 December 2011

Merry Christmas to All


OK, so I'm not a Christian and neither are a lot of my friends, but I'm going to say it anyway and if it offends you because of the name, sobeit. I can't be responsible for your reactions to the word Christmas. What I can do, though is to wish for you that it is a day filled with joy, happieness and peace. But then, I sorta wish EVERY DAY is like that for you.

We have usually tended to celebrate Christmas in a pretty traditional American way with a gathering of family, exchange of gifts, big meal and lots of laughter. Thank goodness I have a family that doesn't do bar room brawls every time it gets together for a holiday! I can't imagine it.

This holiday season has been a bit strange for us, not quite knowing whether I would be here, and if so, what condition I would be in. With Tom and Megan off to the east coast to celebrate the season with Megan's family, we won't be doing our annual family gathering until the 30th, leaving Mimi and me a quiet house and no big family plans. I was asked what I wanted to do and it was pretty hard to really think of actually doing anything, being tied down to this 24-hour a day feed tube, pumping the calories into me and trying to gain weight. I told her I wanted to go out for Chinese Food. I was thinking of "A Christmas Story" where the Bumpis' dogs got the turkey and so they all had to go out to eat. I also thought of my friends Chris and Deena and something Deena told me about getting together with some Jewish friends for chinese food, and it just sounded right coming off the tongue.

But having been hospitalized for so long, I found myself watching a lot of daytime and late night tee-vee and seeing the ads for all the new movies coming out. I thought maybe it would be fun to go to a movie and see what it is like to be out in public for the day. Josiah agreed to go with Mimi and me so we're off to see The Adventures of Tin Tin - in 3-D - and then later will join Chris and Deena for a nice Chines dinner at Hong's Garden in Renton. Still on a liquid diet I'm not sure what all I'll be able to enjoy, but ought to be able to eat some soup and sip tea and enjoy my small family and my friends.

Whatever your day brings, whether it be Christmas or just another day on the calender, I hope you find time to give thanks for the many blessings you have received and hope you receive the warmth of family and friends surrounding you with love.

3 comments:

http://www.jillscancerjourney.blogspot.com said...

Hi Donald, we ALWAYS spend Dec 25 eating Chinese food, sometimes seeing a movie too. I hope you are able to enjoy the day.

Jill from group

Sue said...

What a beautiful picture of you two! Happy Holidays Don and Mimi and here's to a happy, healthy, and fun filled 2012!

Anonymous said...

Sir Donald of Raleighdumb....

Was out of internet touch from Dec 17th to January 8th or thereabouts so missed most of your challenges, but StevieK emailed me a lot so I ws able to read Mimi's postings.

So good to see you out and about and now you're in Hawayah Hawayah Hawayah.

Said a lot of prayers and kept facing my bikes towards the east for get betterere sooner karma.

Will spend some quality time reading your quality writing on yer blog.

Good to have you back amigo.

Ride (and live) long and prosper

slo joe